Login Welcome to London Centennial Wheelers
Friday, November 24 2017 @ 12:18 AM

Forum Index > LCW Forums > General
 May 25th LCW Race Report - views from my end
 |  Printable Version
By: Paul Choquette (offline) on Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM (Read 1537 times)  
Paul Choquette

There were several attempts to whittle down the group by Vlemmix, Sybo, Julio, myself and others. The group however remained pretty much intact with several quite strong riders in the group. Although I did overhear a little griping, jawing and complaining - I was staying near the front for most of it - there wasn't anything particularly offensive or out of line from what I heard. The last lap had some cat and mouse stuff from the remaining group with the speed ramping up just after the big pothole on the back stretch. We were really flying once we hit the start finish straight and a couple of hard early attacks went on the left. One rider in particular - don't know who he was - attacked then blew up with about 300m to go. As he began to be overtaken on both the left and right things got sketchy and people were moving somewhat erratically in the group. Julio and I looked at each other then sat up both sensing that something bad could easily happen. Then sure enough it did, just ahead of us and to the right. I saw Conrad go down first - not sure why - who was then hit by Alex.

I really hope Alex is OK and my prayers are with him. I'm sure updates on his condition would be appreciated.

Lessons to be learned

1) This is training. We're not doing this for a living. We all have families to go home to and jobs / school the next day. Use your head in a bunch sprint.

2) If you are going to participate in the sprint remember bad things can happen and be prepared for the risks involved

3) Don't put your head down and sprint like you're going for Tour Green Jersey points when you're mid-pack or back. Sprinting for places 10th and below is a recipe for disaster

4)HOLD YOUR FREAKIN LINE - at 50kph a touch of wheels is disastrous and the people behind you won't be able to stop

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

All times are EST. The time is now 12:18 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content